Chocolate Marquise Cake
- 6 ounces Bourbon or chic. wholemeal biscuits
- 2 ounces butter 6 ounces plain chocolate
- 3 tablespoons strong black coffee
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon whisky
- 3 eggs, separated
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder to serve white chocolate curls to decorate.
- Grease and line a 9" spring-release round cake tin. Whizz the biscuits briefly in a food processor. Melt the butter in a saucepan; stir into the biscuit crumbs, until evenly blended. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and press into an even layer. Set aside.
- Break up the chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl with the coffee, butter and whisky. Melt over a pan of simmering water. Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk, using an electric beater, until the mixture is thick and foamy and will hold a trail from the whisk.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until holding soft peaks. Fold the chocolate mixture into the whisked egg yolk mixture, then lightly stir in one third of the egg whites. Fold in the rest; pour into the prepared tin. spread evenly; cover.
Chill in the fridge overnight.
- Unclip the tin and peel away the lining paper. Transfer the marquise to a serving plate. Dust with cocoa powder and decorate to serve.
TO FREEZE Pack and freeze at the end of step 3.
TO USE Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Chocolate cookery books at Amazon: