Australian Christmas Cake
- 8 ounces butter
- 8 ounces soft brown sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon syrup
- 8 ounces plain flour
- 2 ounces ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 12 ounces sultanas
- 11/2 lbs raisins
- 4 ounces cherries, chopped
- 2 ounces shredded almonds
- 2 tablespoons crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- 1 or 2 tablespoons brandy
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- Divide in half.
- Prepare all dried fruit and almonds.
- Combine with half the dry ingredients.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat egg yolks with syrup and add to butter mixture.
- Add all the fruit and the pineapple.
- Add the remaining flour, pineapple juice and brandy.
- Beat the egg whites until just stiff.
- Fold egg whites into mixture.
- Prepare 8" cake tin.
- Add mixture and scoop out the top.
- Bake at 250 or 120 or gas 1 for 7 hours at least.
- Remove from tin and cool for 24 hours.
More Christmas recipes from Delia Smith cookery books at Amazon
Delia's Happy Christmas
by Delia Smith (Hardcover - 15 Oct 2009)
"Delia's Happy Christmas" contains 150 recipes for all your favourite traditional Xmas dishes, including 100 new recipes and 50 classics. There are also menu plans and shopping lists, fully illustrated over 312 pages.
Find out more / Buy From Amazon.co.uk
Reviews, price and ordering details from Amazon.co.uk
Delia Smith's Christmas: 130 Recipes for Christmas
by Delia Smith (Paperback - Mar 27, 2007)
This Christmas recipes cookery book includes five different Christmas cakes, a complete vegetarian menu, recipes for gifts such as chocolate truffles, and many traditional favourites.
There are also ideas for Xmas events ranging from drinks parties to dinner parties. If you are looking for something different for your Christmas meals then this is the book for you with items such as Roast Goose with Potato, Sage and Apple Stuffing, a Terrine with Four Cheeses and Caramelized Orange Trifle to follow.